Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ah, the Joy of Drum Circles!



I was honored to open this conference of about 70 participants with a drum circle, where I of course had to try out a few of my new Japanese phrases : )
The participants were a mix of teachers, musicians, therapists, school principals, and drum circle facilitators and they were all interested in finding ways to create community through drum circle activities. These people were delightful to work with- there was great energy and joy in their music making.
In the afternoon I had the chance to work with some of the more experienced drum circle facilitators and it was such fun to see all of the unique, personable, and energetic variations of facilitaton they shared!
Later in the afternoon two teachers shared their work with drumming in the classroom. We watched some video footage of their wonderful work in the schools here and I was struck by the fact that kids are kids everywhere and I loved seeing the sheer delight on the students faces as they explored the drums. It seems that schools everywhere are in great need of activities that create community, reduce stress and that are just darn right FUN!!

No comments: