Thursday, August 11, 2011

Taiko Drums: What could be more FUN!




I have long loved the movement, power and sound of the Japanese Taiko drums and I had mentioned this to my wonderful host Yasuyo and she gave me the gift of a lifetime- the chance to not only hear a group perform but to play these incredible drums myself. We arrived at the music studio where the group “Gonna” practices and this dynamic group of musicians set up the large Taiko drums and a marimba and began to play. The sheer volume of power of the Taiko drums feel like a literal “wall of sound and vibration” sending the rhythms pulsing through every cell of your body. It is an amazing feeling to be in a rather small room with these drums. POWERFUL!!

Here is a clip of the band, they were absolutely incredible!

2 comments:

Yosustah said...

ok, Mary. How you gonna fit one of those drums into your van?????

Yosustah said...

Yosustah is my google name....I'll explain later. Mary Lu