Sunday, August 7, 2011

Drum Circle for Teachers Conference- Japanese Language

For my first days here I had gathered from Tak all kinds of simple Japanese words I might be able to try out in my workshops, fun things to say like: lambulu (rumble) and moto oh ki ku (louder) and shing on (heartbeat) adigato (thank you)
my favorite thing to say and the one that stuck in my brain (because it was fun to say) was oh skinny dozzo (which means "make it your own") so the facilitators say
ONE TWO OH SKINNY DOZ ZO and it just tickles me to no end every time I heard someone say it.

I had also made lots of little notes about people's names, they kindly had a good sense of humor about how I bumbled through their names over and over again- But the names are also fascinating to my ear, and these people are truly an amazing bunch! Mr. Pecker, my host Takeshi, Yasuyo, Toshiko, Miho, Key Chung, Kazu and Shoko
I had conversed by email with many of these folks and could never quite grasp what a female or male name was, so meeting them was surprising to me as I was wrong about the gender in a couple of cases.

I found myself loving the sound of Japanese being spoken all around me. The language feels very musical to my ear, it has a beautiful flowing quality to it.

No comments: